Jeff’s Thoughts: Children need our presence more than our presents.
Just before I arrived at camp in June, I went to watch my daughters in their end of the year dance recital. After the recital, my youngest daughter, Kimberly, told me that when she looked out into the audience and saw my face, she noticed it was “glowing.” I responded as any proud parent would under the circumstances and said, “Of course I was glowing just getting the opportunity to watch you on stage.” She responded that I wasn’t glowing because of her performance, but because of the iPhone glowing in my lap. I’m sure I’m not the only parent who has got that “aha” moment. But, I feel like I needed to share as more than 100 dads embark on their journeys to Long Lake to join Camp Takajo for Father/Son weekend. Children need our presence more than our presents.
- The Senior Intermediate campers got to sleep in this morning, and then had their own breakfast cookout on the Senior Quad. They have a few more days as the oldest campers to soak up the privileges that come along with being a Senior.
- Our Warrior Brave campers and counselors will spending the night at Mert’s Place tonight, where they will watch some funny movies, have snacks, and wake up tomorrow morning. Last night, the Crows had a lot of fun there, and the Braves are excited to have their sleepover turn at the movie house. During the day, the Warriors will have a full day of regularly scheduled activities.
- With the Camp Takajo Olympics fast approaching, campers are getting excited to compete with one another. To get into the spirit of the games, we have been watching the 2012 London Olympic Games on the Commons Deck, by the waterfront. After showers in the evening, we inflate our 12-foot projection screen and watch the USA compete with the world.
- Today, the Junior Greys will return from their rafting trip along the Kennebec River, and the Seniors will return from their Western Trip. Both groups will have stories and photos to share with one another.
- There will be two groups of golfers out of camp today. Juniors will golf in Naples in the afternoon, and a group of Warriors will head out to Naples in the evening for their own round of golf.